This came from the Sauerburg Castle website
in August, 2013.
It is being posted here because the website may be removed
since the Castle was sold several years ago.
History of the Sauerburg Castle
The Sauerburg is located at the valley of "Sauerthal" (a valley beside the "Wispertal") on the top of a big hill (360m). The driveway to the castle is located high above the village of Sauerthal. 180 hectare of land belong to the castle Sauerburg.
Construction and comital owners
The first documented mention was in 1120 in the so called "Conradus da Waldekke".
History of Sauerburg
Heinrich I. from Sponheim sells the castle to count palatine Ludwig II.
the castle gets into the "Burgfrieden" which has been built by the count palatine Rudolf Ruprecht the elder and Ruprecht the younger.
arch bishop Gerlach of Mainz allows the count palatine Ruprecht "to built a castle which is called 'Surburne'". At this Point the castle should have been expanded in a way where it became significant in a warlike matter.
In the same year the nomination of count Adolf from Nassau, Johann from Nassau-Merenberg and Johann from Katzenelnbogen at Erbburgmännern on the castle Sauerburg takes place.
countpalatine Ruprecht confesses knight Johann Hertwig von Lorch as lord of the castle Sauerburg.
elector Philipp von der Pfalz sells the castle to his marshal Philipp von Kronberg.
the family of Brömser from Rüdesheim inherits the castle in a very dilapidated condition.
Brömser rebuilt the castle. He is told to be the builder of the bastion and the circle of guns. Also the chapel and the fountain were constructed during this period.
After the outbreak of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), the castle has been overrun and destroyed by Bernhard of Weimar.
Franz from Sickingen marries Anna Margaretha from Metternich.
the last masculine inheritant of the family Brömser dies. The Sauerburg falls into the hands of the family Metternich by inheritance.
the castle gets captured and totally destroyed by the troops of Ludwig XIV.
After the death of baron from Metternich-Winneburg and 3 years after the destruction of the castle, the Sauerburg falls 1692 into the hands of the famous family of Sickinger and from now on remains in the direct line of succession up to 1834.
On november 25th in 1834 the last member of the family count Franz von und zu Sickingen dies in the valley of Sauerthal on the "Hof Sauerberg" which still belongs to the Sauerburg. Count von und zu Sickingen is buried on the village cemetary.
Franz von Sickingen buys again the fee Sauerburg, which stays into his property in the following years.
the last lord of the castle of this family count Franz von und zu Sickingen dies.
Carl from Gemmingen becomes fee owner of the Sauerburg.
deputy head Dr. Karl Rossel builds a memorial for count Franz from Sickingen on the cemetary in Sauerthal.
Melchior Adolf Pistor becomes owner of the Sauerburg with belongings.
Petronella Corneli born Esser becmoes owner of the Sauerburg with belongings.
the ruin of Sauerburg (with Sauerberger Hof) gets sold to Johann Bomm and his wife Anna born Küppers.
after forced sale Elisabeth Esser born Lieven becomes owner with belongings.
Margarethe from Loehr born Beyerle becomes owner.
the Sauerburg gets partially rebuilt by privy councillor from Loehr and his wife more or less in the condition like it is today.
Josef Verret becomes owner of the Sauerburg and the "Hof Sauerberg".
Franz Peter Mostert buys the Sauerburg with all belongings and it's family stays as owner until 2003.
the Vieso AG from Switzerland buys the Sauerburg with the "Hof Sauerberg". The castle gets rehabilitated in one year and now is a gem and landmark for the "Sauerthal".
In the 14th century castles often have been used for administration close to a customs facility and also for hunting. Even the Sauerburg seemed to be built for this purpose. The area around the Sauerburg belonged to the count palatines at rhine. They were the owners of the important custom facility "Kaub", which should have been protected by the Sauerburg.
Return to Sauerburg Castle
In the year 1355 the arch bishop Gerlach of Mainz
authorized count palatine Ruprecht to build the Sauerburg. The
castle also should protect from the castle of Waldeck which was
located pretty close. Only a few parts of walls remained from
castle Waldeck. The counts Johann von Katzenelnbogen, Johann from
Nassau-Merenberg and Adolf Nassau became lords of the castle for
the new castle to be built. The construction finished in the end
of 1361. In the following decades the ownership changed many times.
In the year 1505 count palatine Philipp sold the castle to Philipp
from Kronberg. The castle remained in the family of Kronberg.
Georg from Kronberg was married to Margarethe from Fleckenstein.
An emblem of family Kronberg-Fleckenstein is located on the Sauerburg
since 1541. The son castellan of Friedberg died as the last of
the masculine successors in the year 1617 and left the dilapidated
castle to his daughter. She was married to Hans Reinhard Brömser.
1618 Brömser got the document of fee and rebuilt the castle
as a fortress in the following years. He was told to be a very
religious man and for this reason he is told to be the builder
of the chapel on the Sauerburg. After his death his son Heinrich
became owner of the castle. But the castle was destroyed in 1635
during the 30 Years War. When Heinrich Brömser died as the
last masculine successor of this famous family, his inheritors
were Carl Heinrich Freiherr from Metternich, Anna Margarete Freyfrau
from Sickingen and Maria Margaretha from Bettendorf. But the authorization
of a fee has been declined. 1676 Franz from Sickingen bought parts
from the Sauerburg.
The Sauerburg got completely destroyed in 1689 by the French troops of king Ludwig XIV. In the following years on the "Hof Fronborn" a residence has been built. From then on it was no longer called "Sauerburg" but "Sauerberg". For this reason the name of "Hof Sauerberg" remained until today. 1692 Franz from Sickingen got the fee of Sauerburg again. In the following years the Sauerberg remained in the hands of the family from Sickingen. After this the ownership changed many times. In the years of 1909-1912 the wife of the privy councillor Dr. Josef von Loehr, Margarethe born Beyerle from Berlin let rebuild the castle again. After some changing owners the Vieso AG from Switzerland bought the castle and the "Sauerberger Hof". In the year 2004 the Sauerburg was completely renovated and is now a gem and landmark for the "Sauerthal".
Sauerthal with the Sauerburg belongs to the UNESCO "Welterbe Oberes Mittelrheintal".
Return to home page